Committee on Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products (ATMP)
A separately defined group of medicinal products, namely the Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products (ATMPs), has existed since 2009. The ATMPs include products for tissue manipulation, gene and somatic cell therapy.
The MEB has appointed the ATMP Committee (previously the ATMP Expert Group) to discuss the developments surrounding ATMPs. Various chain parties and stakeholders participate in the ATMP Committee, with the aim of informing each other about the most recent state of affairs in scientific and regulatory developments surrounding advanced therapies. The composition of the ATMP Committee is unique, with all partners from the medicinal products chain (IGJ, CCMO, ZiN, VWS) and relevant field parties (patient associations, academic centres and investigators and delegates from the industry) taking part.
Tasks of the ATMP Committee
- Informing each other about the most recent state of affairs surrounding the development of ATMPs, both nationally and internationally.
- Advising the MEB about the activities regarding marketing authorisations and scientific advice in the field of ATMPs.
- Giving feedback to the ATMP Committee about the most recent developments in the Committee on Advanced Therapies (CAT), in which experts from the MEB participate.
- Participation in national and international expert meetings.
- Providing input on European and national regulatory issues.
Committee for Advanced Therapies (CAT)
The Committee for Advanced Therapies (CAT) is a multidisciplinary committee that falls under the European Medicines Agency (EMA), in which experts from all over Europe come together to evaluate the quality, risks and efficacy of the ATMPs. The Netherlands is represented in the CAT (on behalf of the Medicines Evaluation Board) by Dr Hans Ovelgönne.