Governance structure of the MEB
The Medicines Evaluation Board
- The Medicines Evaluation Board is the competent authority responsible for
decision-making within the scope of the Dutch Medicines Act (Geneesmiddelenwet)
and related ministerial regulations.
- The Chairman is the head of the competent authority.
- The secretariat of the Board is situated in the Medicines Evaluation Board
Agency. A Secretary is head of the Agency, and is also the Agency’s Executive
The MEB Agency Executive Management
- The Executive Management is charged with governing the Agency. This means it
is responsible for achieving the Agency’s objectives and for its strategy with
the corresponding risk profile, the trend in results, and relevant social
- The Executive Management is responsible for compliance with all relevant
legislation and regulations, controlling the risks attached to the
organisation’s activities, and the organisation’s financing.
- The Executive Management is accountable to the Medicines Evaluation Board
and the Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sports in respect of the above.
The Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sports
- The MEB Agency is part of the Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sports. The
Ministry’s task is to fulfil the Decree establishing the MEB Agency.
The Government Audit Department and the Financial and Economic Affairs Department at the Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sports
- On behalf of the Minister of Health, Welfare and Sports, the Government
Audit Department and the Financial and Economic Affairs Department at the
Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sports monitor the quality of the MEB’s
organisation and operations, and also monitor the efficient and legitimate
deployment of funds.